Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Empire Commuter: Delay due to lax inspection?

Yesterday I was an hour and five minutes late getting home to Albany on train 241 which is supposed to leave Penn Station at 7:10 pm. The first thing that I noticed when I got on the train was that it was filthy -- old newspapers, soda bottles and stale popcorn on the seats, the seat checks from the previous trip still over the seats. Fifteen minutes after the scheduled departure time the conductor announced that minor engine problems were being fixed and that we we'd be on our way in a few more minutes.

After waiting forty minutes in the train at the platform the conductor asked us to board another train across the platform and then we finally departed.

Obviously the train I originally boarded had not been cleaned or inspected. What if the brakes or signals had failed instead, a few minutes after departing? What regulations are there regarding this? Drop me a line if you know.

No comments: